Thursday, February 20, 2014

A couple years ago, I noticed that my "mainstream" literary agency was advertising that it wanted to represent erotica.   I had an erotic manuscript about ready to go, so I asked my agent if she would be willing to take a look at it.   I was shocked when she replied, "No.   Today's erotica market is strictly women writing for women."   It was the first time in my life that I had encountered discrimination, and I was very taken aback.   Would they have refused to look at a manuscript from D.H. Lawrence?   Or, on a more modern playing field, Paul Little?   Titian Beresford?    My personal favorite, P.N. Dedeaux?  

I know a number of today's successful female erotica authors, and they are warm, witty, friendly people with whom I have enjoyed wonderful conversations and e-mail exchanges.   I certainly recognize that things are changing, and women are finally being welcomed into more positions of responsibility in all areas of society and commerce.   I celebrate that.  (Especially as I try to create Femdom fiction that is plausible, believable, and relevant.)   But sometimes it seems the old "battle of the sexes" still exists, and on some battlefields the ladies may be... well, dominant.   Careful what you wish for!  

1 comment:

  1. Cute on that last part there... :) site looks good Grant.

    ReplyDelete