Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Facebook

Recently, the TV news media indicated that Facebook usage is falling off.   Supposedly, younger enthusiasts are turning more and more to other sites.  

I am new to Facebook.   I have resisted it all these years, as I had no need for it.   Far too many things make demands on my time, and so I tried to protect my privacy.   If  someone wanted to share something with me, there's a telephone in every room, and I have a cell phone.

Ahhhh, but now I am publishing a new erotic novel, and the need to be discreet seems to require that I use Facebook to publicize my latest work.   I have found a large and very wonderful community of fellow authors who have been willing to offer advice and guidance to a newcomer.   I am very grateful.   That's the good news!   I have made every effort.   In a rare display of commitment, I purchased FACEBOOK FOR DUMMIES, a compact little book with a bold trademark on the cover: "Making Everything Easier!"   Not even close!

Fellow authors were quick to tell me my presence on Facebook was not enough; I need a "page".   My trusty manual tells me how to Like a page, but does not contain sentence one about what a page is, why it is needed, nor how to create one!  

I also see an assortment of blogs on Facebook, and a new form of entertainment called a "blog crawl".   I am attracted to a couple of them, but how to access them?   I have this site, where you are (presumably) reading this.   But the myriad of erotic authors on Facebook have their blogs readily available alongside their profiles and their pages.   A casual reader can spend hours exploring the various layers of hype and excerpts to discover all the many facets of a favorite author's personality!   But again, I am a newcomer, and rather skeptical of modern technology at the best.   How do I enter into this modern arena?   Where is the instruction sheet, the tutorial that will offer me access?   Clearly, many of my peers have found the secret and created a vast network of self-congratulatory eroticism and marketing.   They speak the language fluently, and offer tidbits of advice, but always with the expectation that I am as familiar with this technological landscape as they appear to be.   HELP!   Is there a book I have missed, lurking on the shelf at Barnes & Noble?   A "how to" site someplace on Facebook I haven't discovered yet?   I am feeling frustrated, a dinosaur wandering into the 21st century.   I've always heard that leprechauns keep a pot of gold at the end of rainbows.   Where do I find the basic Facebook how-to?  

1 comment:

  1. Hi Grant


    Thank you for your exciting and talented stories which work on several levels.

    I am sorry to hear that you are facing rejection in your personal life because of the mainstream approach to our genre, that it is "perverse", evil and / or worthy of scorn.

    I am a happy 40 year-old submissive "male" living in London, excited and finally accepting that my submissive nature is a part of me that needs to be faced and embraced - like being Gay, it isn't going to be beaten or go away. It has to be used in some way - ideally channelled positively, or else one can surrender to it entirely, or else the constant back-and-forth battle can sabotage most other things in life. IMHO.

    (Long sentence alert) My particular focus is in trying to accept that some parts of male submission can be giving and positive for others as well, and somehow to accept that a mainstream, happy, real life with a family dynamic incorporating some limited BDSM practice outweighs hundreds of more exciting fantasies.

    If you are interested in a "kindred spirit" phone chat (at my expense) or email exchange, I would be keen to explore the wisdom we have both picked up in our unusual life journeys.


    All the best (and feel free to ignore me!)


    Michael


    (I'll try to check this from time to time to see if you have answered this comment)

    ReplyDelete